Yoga & Live Music at AMP
A candlelight practice
As the intense heat of summer begins to dissipate, allow your stress and tension to to drift off with the fall breeze during a truly unique meditative and musical experience. Mike Gaitan of Pike & Rose Sport & Health leads a deeply centering yoga class while accompanied by the tranquil sounds of master flautist Deepak Ram. The class includes an intermediate-level asana practice to cultivate stability, a savasana accompanied by the sound of gongs, a focus on the breath (pranayama), and a short meditation on prana, the vital life force. Afterwards, refreshments are provided as well as an opportunity to connect with each other in sangha, a community of seekers.
We live in a time with many avenues for stimulation and opportunity and yet, without focus or direction, we are moved toward states of instability and stress. The systematic practice of yoga, developed over thousands of generations, is a powerful tool in helping us realize our true life’s purpose: experiencing lasting joy, gratitude, and fulfillment. Combined with the transformative power of music, this practice can be truly profound.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes before class time to set up and relax. To provide a relaxing atmosphere for all, we will not be allowing late arrivals to join the class. Doors open at 6:15pm.
- Each ticket includes admission to the yoga class along with live music and a beverage.
- Participants are required to bring their own mats and any other props or equipment that may be needed, along with a water bottle.
- Please leave everything else in the car. We will have a bag check for those who need it, but we would like to keep the space clean.
- There will be a photographer at the event. By participating you agree to have your likeness used in future communication about yoga classes at AMP.
About our yoga teacher, Mike Gaitan
While always a yogi at heart, Mike Gaitan began the systematic practice of yoga in 2002, and the blissful journey has profoundly changed his life. Gaitan has studied extensively in the school of Parayoga and the Himalayan Institute under the tutelage of Yogarupa Rod Stryker and Pandit Rajmani Tigunait. He recognizes that we live in a time and place that can create extreme levels of stress. This state of being is not only unhealthy but also creates obstacles to experiencing a life of joy and fulfillment. His teaching focuses on developing asana practices to promote stability in the body, breath, and mind, while weaving in yogic philosophies and practices.
About our musician, Deepak Ram
Deepak Ram is well known for his evocative performances in traditional North Indian (Hindustani) classical music. His innovative compositions and genre-crossing collaborations have won international critical praise, including an award for Best Instrumental Album at the South African Music Awards. Ram is a senior disciple of world-renowned bansuri maestro Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia. He is an accomplished soloist and a captivating performer, combining technical mastery with onstage charisma. A celebrated instructor and versatile artist, Ram has collaborated with such diverse talents as jazz pianists Darius Brubeck and Bheki Mseleku, Tunisian oud player and vocalist Dhafer Yousseff, and the popular South African band Tanana.